Thursday, February 8, 2018

#Crush on the Medium Paint



Continuing on my #Crush Series, I'll be writing about markers today.  I have to tell you, as I started this post I was thinking it would be a stretch to find any reason why I crush on markers.  They run out of ink... the kids mix the caps... They make a mess on my table... But as I started collecting some of the fun ways I have used markers, I realized I like them a whole lot better than I thought. Here's why.



I use markers for this really fun warmup activity where I have the students collaboratively work on drawing a picture with markers. There are a lot of details on how this is achieved in my previous post but it has become one of the most fun days in Art Class for my 6th grade this year.


Markers are totally worth it for the bright colors they provide.  This Dinosaur Sculpture project posted on MiniMatisse by a guest blogger Mark Rode is a perfect example of why makers should be used with even our youngest artist. These Dinos are amazing! 


I have two examples of how I used permanent markers on fibers to create a batik or tie-dye effect. Using the markers on the fabric and then adding rubbing alcohol over the marker after applied creates a bleed. I adore these Owl Softies and my family had a great time making these Tie-dye shirts.  It's another nontraditional way to use the medium markers. 




Mr. Kantor is a past coworker of mine and a current friend and fellow educator.  We had the opportunity to share a room for a year and as I was prepping for my class I saw him sharing this lesson with his students.  Soon I was another bystander watching Mr. K make his marker foam prints. This is an amazing way to print and as I said that markers can get messy... it's nothing compared to ink and printmaking.  This is a more clean way to create a print and very engaging for students. I created a video a while ago to show my students how to do this process. 




Marker bleeds have always been one of my favorite ways to use markers.  That might be why I asked Lauralee Chambers to guest blog about her Alphabet Soup lesson. I loved the look of the WHOLE project but really loved the marker bleeds. Her post was a good reminder of the marker bleeds, and that inspired me to use this method with my own 1st-grade students as they were drawing their sheep in the Farm Animal Project. It was a great touch!



Reaching back a couple of years, I found this Aboriginal Hands project.  I love getting the Florescent/Neon, Metalic, or Pastel colored markers... Any of the specialty markers are always fun for my students to use.  They give a beautiful look and then if I only take them out for some projects... they become special and celebrated. 


One of my favorite lessons of all times is these Metal and Marker Bugs! Again, super engaging and such a great finished product.  It allows students to use materials that they normally don't. Using the permanent markers on metal is stunning! 


These Bird Sculptures were created using marker bleeds but the markers were not put on paper... but rather coffee filters. This was magic for my students. 


My middle schoolers used permanent markers on their Shrinky Dink Bracelets. This is an easy and bold medium to create the fine details you see here on the shrunken plastic.

I'll end this post with the sweet smell of Mr. Sketch markers.  This is something I purchase every now and again for my classroom.  I think it creates memories for the kids.  They will smell mint someday and it will put them right back to the Art Studio.  My hope is it makes them feel loved again, wanted, celebrated again... all the feelings I hope they feel every day they come into class.  Plus, it's just really good entertainment for me to see all the marker on upper lips and nose as they leave the classroom because they were smelling Mr. Sketch's sent the whole time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment