Monday, August 12, 2013

Comparing Products: Prang Watercolors vs. Crayola Watercolors


 

Great product again from Prang... WATERCOLORS!!  Again, this is a product that I will often buy for my classroom and encourage my students to do the same.  Here's a few reasons why. 

Both Crayola and Prang have cases that allow the paints to be removed.  It is really simple in the Crayola, they practically fall out of the case.  In Prang you have to pull a bit on it.  I like that because the paints are really secure.

You might be asking WHY removing a pan is important.  When I was in teaching elementary I would often do a lesson on just the primary colors.  I was able to remove the pigments that I didn't want the kids to use.  This was a GREAT advantage.  It was nice to limit the kids colors but it also allowed me to save the paints that I didn't want, and use them for a different lesson.  In the Crayola pack you are not able to do this at all. 


The brushes are no comparison.  There is a well built, student grade, #9 watercolor brush in the Pragn paints.  These are brushes that I will keep and use after the paints are long gone.  The Crayola # 3 brushes I often will toss out.  
 
In order to use the Crayolas, I had to activate them.  When I say that, I mean that I had to place a small drop of water on the paints and let it sit for a minute or two.  This allowed me to use the colors as intended.  The Prang is 'Semi-Moist'.  I did activate them to make sure the test between the two were under the same conditions, but an artist wouldn't have to.


Here it is... The colors are much bolder on the Prang side, especially colors like black and yellow.  


Now, I know you are all going to go out there and get your self some PRANG products... Let me give you a coupon to get you very own Prang watercolors as you do you 'Back to School' shopping.  Click here for you coupon.

No comments:

Post a Comment